Friday, April 27, 2007

Day 5

Decided to skip the gym and go for a walk since the weather was so gorgeous. Clear sunny skies and pleasant weather ie. not sweating but soaking up the sun. Feeling adventurous I skipped the first bridge only to go onto the next. Found a building that looked vaguely familiar. It was the market which Mileva had told us about and which I had seen in the guide to Budapest. I ventured in only to be assaulted with a riot of color and a literal feast. Produce and meat spill out from every stall and you can see these old Hungarian women haggling with shop keepers as they buy something. I was reminded of our Ranade Road in Dadar except this place lacks that smell of Dadar market. the smell itself is a living being there. the putrid, fetid smell of humanity, rotting vegetables and sweat. It lends some character to the place and the jostling millions who shop there. this place was tame in comparison... almost a pale,cleaner version of what I am used to.The building itself is a historic thing and the ceilings are high and domed.Lots of meat everywhere, enough to make me feel slightly queasy, fruits and vegetables as well and loads of paprika. the vegetables which you get here are apples, pears, oranges, bananas and melon... of course you get grapes as well but I cant help but contrast that to the US where you are always assaulted by such a variety of fruits. I think choice is limited here, which brings me to my question " Is choice a good thing ?" If you don't have choices you make do with what you have and you would probably be happy with it.

No comments: